One of the biggest benefits of life at Summer Lake is access to truly exceptional schools. From the top-ranked public school system to a broad selection of private and specialty schools, Summer Lake gives families the best pre-school through secondary education available.
Chesterfield County Public Schools
Chesterfield County boasts an award-winning public school system. More than 59,000 students attend 63 schools, which includes specialty centers and two career and technical education centers. In 2015, Chesterfield was one of only six school districts in the country to be selected as an Ambassador District for the U.S. Department of Education’s #GoOpen Campaign.
Compared to other school districts in Virginia, Chesterfield student achievement soars. Chesterfield consistently outpaces the state average on the Virginia Standards of Learning, a series of standardized tests administered to all public school students. In addition, Chesterfield boasts exceptional statistics in on-time graduation rates, advanced diplomas, and college attendance.
Families In Summer Lake Live In The Following School Districts:
Grange Hall Elementary School
- Ranked 92nd out of 1,095 elementary schools in Virginia by Schooldigger,, placing Grange Hall in the 91st percentile.
- The student/teacher ratio is 19.4
- A National Blue Ribbon School, title awarded in 2009
- SOL scores are above both district and state averages in Math, English, and Science for all tested grades.
Tomahawk Creek Middle School
- Schooldigger ranks Tomahawk Creek 21st out of 405 middle schools in the Commonwealth of Virginia, or around the 95th percentile. It is the 2nd strongest middle school in the Chesterfield County Public School District.
- The student/teacher ratio is 16.7
- SOL scores are above both district and state averages in Math, Science, English Reading, and Writing for all tested grades.
Cosby High School
- Schooldigger ranks Cosby High 7th out of 320 high schools in the state, placing it into the 97th percentile statewide.
- The student/teacher ratio is 17.6
- A National Blue Ribbon School, title awarded in 2015
- SOL scores are above both district and state averages in Reading, Earth Science, Geography, VA and US History, World History, Biology, Chemistry, Algebra I, Algebra II, Geometry, and Writing for all tested grades.
Chesterfield School Technology Initiatives
Chesterfield County provides Chromebooks to Middle and High school students, with students in kindergarten and elementary school anticipated to receive Chromebooks over the next few years.
The school system has invested $6 million on the initiative, seeking to increase student engagement and prep students for a lifetime of technology usage. The school division’s tech department has more than 70 full-time employees, including school technicians and network specialists.
Teachers use Google Drive and a full suite of Google platform applications to share projects and documents with students, provide real-time feedback, and quicker grading for assessments. Check out the school system’s Anytime, Anywhere Learning Initiative to learn more.
Local Private Schools
Chesterfield is home to 16 private schools, ranging from small day care centers to impressive college preparatory high schools. They include the following:
The Goddard School
With five locations in Chesterfield county, The Goddard School is a popular choice for preschool.
The Lead Center LTD
The Lead Center is a private day school that serves elementary, middle, and high school students with mental and emotional disabilities. The school’s primary goal is to successfully transition students into the excellent local public school system.
The Millwood School
Millwood is a co-ed, independent, college-preparatory school serving students from preschool through 12th grade. The school offers a core curriculum enhanced by electives and extracurricular activities. The school is located on a beautiful, wooded campus in Chesterfield.
Take Advantage Of The Schools By Summer Lake
Families consistently list local schools as a reason to choose Summer Lake. From toddlers to High School seniors, provide your kids with access to the best education available – just one of the many reasons to live in Summer Lake! Click here to schedule a tour today.